Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just a Few Who've Helped Me Be - Part 1

In honor of Black History Month I'd like to highlight some inspiring people who helped make me who I am today for one reason or another.  I am not of African descent (to my knowledge) but the lessons we learn from those who go before us are universal.  Thank you for helping me be who I am. 

Martin Luther King, Jr. taught me that even the most difficult of dreams can be realized if you stand up for what you believe and refuse to take "no" for an answer.


Harriet Tubman taught me that the right way is usually not the easy way and that sometimes you have to go through a lot of heartache when you're on the right track.  Hmm unintentional pun there but I'll take it.
Richard Pryor taught me that laughing at yourself is sometimes the best thing you can do.  He also taught me not to play with matches.

Eddie Murphy taught me that who you are in your twenties has fuck all to do with who you are for the rest of your life.  By that, I mean never say never, basically, 'cause you just don't know.


Pam Grier taught me that beauty is timeless.  When you're truly beautiful, age is not a factor.
As a horror fan as well as a human being, Blacula taught me not to judge anything by its cover.  As a child I always thought it looked campy and cheesy.  Then when I got around to watching it I realized that Blacula is freakin' scary stuff.  Dig it.


Redd Foxx taught me that you can find humor in most anything.  His was one of my favorite shows growing up and I still watch it every day (TV Land at 7PM).  You should, too, ya big dummy!


4 comments:

  1. Is this a feel good moment? wheres all the fury? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fury...fury...okay. Here's one. Michael Vick taught me that being loaded with money and talent will NOT keep you from being a dumbass. And, no, I will never forgive him. I'm just glad he's not with the Falcons anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, for the record, I DO talk about happy things from time to time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some interesting choices there baby, i dig them.
    Some might not agree with them, but then you can say "what`s wrong with the choices we got? they seem pretty gooood."

    ReplyDelete